Rodopi prefecture is characterized for its mountainous volumes in its northern side and the dashing streams that spring from there and lead to the southern side to the Aegean Sea, where the beautiful beaches are.
Capital of the prefecture is Komotini that on Ottoman domination was named Goumourtzina. Today it is a modern city that combines harmoniously the European and Eastern element in architecture, in tradition, in culture and people.
The history of the city begins in the meta-christian centuries with the foundation of a small settlement and the construction of a Byzantine fortress that gives the city the opportunity to develope. Later during the Ottoman domination Komotini became the most important center in the region developing the agriculture and the livestock-farming. It is finally incorporated with Greece in 1920 with the rest of Thrace.