Samos is in the eastern part of the Aegean Sea, very close to the coastline of Asia Minor from which it is separated by a narrow lane of sea.
Beautiful and verdant it is a mountainous island occupied by two high mountains: Kerki is rocky and Ambelos is fertile. The woody hillsides, the caves, the glens with running waters, the vineyards, the graphic villages, the small ports, the sandy beaches and the blue seas create the picture of the island that is famous from antiquity.
Its position in the crossroad of the sea passages that connect East and West encouraged its growth and development as an important intellectual and cultural centre and one of the bigger naval forces in antiquity.
Samos was the island of goddess Hera and homeland of Pythagoras the great mathematician of antiquity, astronomer Aristarchus, architect Mandroklis and others.
Today it is a big tourist centre that combines the modern infrastructures, the natural beauty and the important historical monuments.
It is the capital of Samos Prefecture which includes Samos, Ikaria, Fourni and Thimaina.
- the hydro-biotope of Aliki
- the waterfalls in a region with dense vegetation
- Seitania, an area of unique beauty
- Cave Kakoperato and the cave of Pythagoras
- Heraion. According to tradition this is where goddess Hera was born and raised. You will see the ruins of the temple of “Imvrasia Hera”, one of the bigger in antiquity. Also the “Sacred Road” which linked the ancient city of Samos with Heraion.
- In Pythagorio, the ancient theatre, ruins of the “Wall of Polycrates” and the “Roman Baths”.
- “Evpalinio Tunnel”, a masterpiece of the 6th century one of the bigger projects of antiquity. It is a tunnel 1.036 meters long which supplied the city with water.
- Monastery of Megali Panagia (1586) – Koumaradei
- Timios Stavros Monastery (1582) – Mouratzei.
- Vronta Monastery – Vourliotes
- Profitis Ilias Monastery (1625) – Meseo Karlovasi
- Monastery of Ioannis Theologos (1823) near Karlovasi
- Monastery of Zoodochos Pigi (1756) in Kosmadeous
- Agia Zoni monastery (1695)
- Panagia Spiliani in Pythagorio
- Panagia Makrini (13th century), build in a cave
- Archaeological museum of Samos
- Museum of Natural History
- Archaeological collection of Pythagorion
- Folklore Museum
Access – Transportation
Samos airport “Aristarchos of Samos” 0030 22730 87800
From Piraeus, Kavala and the surrounding islands.
Samos port aythority 0030 22730 27318
Area: 477,4 sq km
Capital: Vathi (Samos)
Samos prefecture administratively belongs to the North Aegean Region and includes the municipalities of Samos, Ikaria and Fournoi Korseon.