Skopelos is the second biggest island in Sporades complex and belongs to the administrative regional unit of Magnesia.
It is also known as “the forest island” for being the leafiest island in Greece. The biggest part of its terrain is covered by extremely beautiful pine forests that end up to beautiful beaches and gulfs.
The town of Skopelos conserves the insular characteristic of narrow paved streets and picturesque white houses. The biggest villages are Glossa, Klima, Elios. From Glossa can be seen Skiathos and Pilio.
In antiquity the island was named Peparithos, by Dionysus and Ariadne’s son. First habitant of the island was the other son of Dionysus, Stafilus.
- The ruins of ancient Peparithos’ wall
- The church of Episkopi dated back to 17th century
- The Holy monastery of Evaggelistria (Daponte) with the wooden carved iconostasis and the icons dated back to 14th century
- The Holy monastery of Metamorfosis Sotiros
- The Holy Monastery of Timios Prodomos, founded in 1612, which has icons that dated since 16th century
- Glossa with the traditional color and the many chapels, like the one of Taxiarches, at an altitude of 300m with amazing view, the church of Ai Giannis at Kastri, built on the top of a rock at 100 meters’ high.
- The picturesque lighthouse at the edge of the island near to Loutraki
- Skopelos’ Photographic center
- The carved tombs dated back to the Roman era at Sentoukia
- The archaeological site of Asklipieio (4th century B.C.)
Agnontas, Stafilos, Panormos, Elios, Milia
All year round routes from Volos. During the summer months from Agios Konstantinos, Kymi Euboea, Thessaloniki and the surrounding islands.
Skopelos 0030 24240 22180
Volos0030 24213 53800
Kymi 0030 22220 22606
Agios Konstantinos 0030 22350 31759
Thessaloniki 0030 2313 325800 & 0030 325821-24
Volos airport in Nea Aghialos 0030 24280 76886
Skiathos airport “Alexandros Papadiamantis” 0030 24270 29105
Area: 95,2 sq km
Skopelos municipality administratively belongs to Magnesia prefecture – Thessaly Region.