The prefecture of Karditsa is located at the southwest part of Thessaly and it is the smallest in the regional unit of Thessaly. On its west side stand the range of Agrafa and Pindus while on the other side extents the fertile valley of Thessaly. Through the prefecture pass many rivers that nurture and hose the flatland.
According to the findings the region is inhabited since 6.000 BC. Because of its geographic position it was a meeting place of people and civilizations. The region was a part of the ancient Thessaliotis which along Phthiotis, Histiaeotis, Pelasgiotis were forming the Thessalic Tetrad, a form of alliance. Three cities of the region are mentioned also by Homer in Iliad as they participated in the Trojan War.
During the Byzantine Period the region had to face many invaders. From that era are saved many monuments mainly churches and monasteries but also the important Byzantine Castle of Fanari.
In the 15th century the Turks settle in the region and take advantage of the fertile land. It is worth to be mentioned the contribution of the Thessalic people to the Greek War of Independence in 1821. Thessaly was set free in 1881 by the Convention of Thessaly. The years after the liberation are characterized by the fights of the farmers against the landlords for a fair allocation of land with heyday, the uprising of Kileler in 1910.
During World War II the participation of the people in the resistance was important. A characteristic example is the alliance airport that used to function at the plateau of Nevropoli. Karditsa was the first city to set free in Europe.
The city of Karditsa was founded during the Period of Ottoman Occupation and it was the garrison of the Turkish Army. In 1822 the plague decimated the population. In 1881 it was set free and became once again an important commercial centre.
- The public market at the city of Karditsa, a building of the characteristic architecture style of a Hellenistic and Roman Agora.
- Pafsilipo Park at the centre of Karditsa
- Lake Plastiras of the amazing natural beauty, a draw for thousands of visitors.
- The Byzantine Castle at Fanari
- The cave of Karaiskakis near Mavrommati and the monastery of Agios Georgios at the same region.
- The stone built bridges at the region of Argithea
- The archaeological findings at the region of Mitropoli
- The Mycenaean domed tomb
- The ancient temple of Apollo dated back to 6th century B.C.
- The Roman Baths (2nd-3rd century A.D.)
- The archaeological site of Kallithiro with the ruins of the ancient city
- “Sleeping beauty of Agrafa”, a mountain range that its shape gives the impression of a sleeping lady.
- The Holy Monastery of Panagia Pelekiti (Karitsa)
- The Holy Monastery of Petra (16th century) near by the village Katafigi
- The Holy Monatsery of Dormition of the Mother of God at Rentina that was built in 9th-10th century and restored in the 16th century.
- The hot springs at the region Rentina-Smokovos.
Karditsa KTEL (Public Bus Service)
0030 24410 21001
Macedonia KTEL (Public Bus Service)
Macedonia Public Bus Service
0030 2310 595441
Athens KTEL (Public Bus Service) (Liosia station)
0030 210 8317181
Area: 2.636 sq.km
The Prefecture of Karditsa belongs to the Region of Thessaly and consists of the municipalities of Argithea, Karditsa, Limni Plastira, Moyzaki, Palama and Sofades.