Evros Prefecture is one of the bigger in the country and is in the most northeastern part of Greece and in a particularly strategic point. Evros is characterized for its natural beauties and for the regions of particular natural interest like the Delta of river Evros, the Forest of Dadia, Samothrace but also for the important monuments of historical and archaeological interest. Evros has marvellous beaches and modern tourist units and also alternative types of tourism like therapeutic, naturalist etc.
Alexandroupoli is the capital and harbor of Evros prefecture. In the old days it was named Dedeagats and its residents were a few fishermen. The city began to develop with the creation of the railway line in 1870, that linked Thessalonica with Constantinople and gave the opportunity to become a commercial centre and to export its products. Its geographic position near the sea made the town a nodal harbour of the country.
In 1912 it was occupied by the Greek army and then by the Bulgarians. In 1920, it was incorporated with Greece and was named Alexandroupoli after Alexander the Great. Today it is a modern city with good town planning and the beautiful harbor where the visitor can seat and enjoy the sun and the sea. You should visit the Ecclesiastical Museum, the Historical and Folklore Museum and the Museum of Flora and Fauna.
- outside Alexandroupoli near Avas village is the medieval castle of Potamos and the castle of Avanta where are walls from the Mycenaean, Classic and Byzantine period. There near the narrow passage where the railway line passes are a lot of caves and in of them is the chapel of Saint Theodoroi with wall paintings from the 11th and 13th century
- ancient Trainoupolis, near the village Loutros, a city founded by the Roman emperor Traianos in the 2nd century AC and was an important administrative, military and ecclesiastical centre of Thrace. It was destroyed in 1206 from the czar of Bulgarians Ioannis. Today are saved ruins of the previously glorious city among which are the building of “Hana” build in the 14th century and was used as a hostel for the visitors of spa baths.
- the archaeological site of Doriskos
- the archaeological site of Mesimvria – Zoni. Founded in the 7th century BC and was named Mesimvria and later on Zoni, and was one of Samothrace colonies. The city developed in the 5th and 4th century BC but began to decline with the Macedonian possession and later at the Roman period when the new streets were made. The excavations brought to light the city walls, streets, buildings, the sanctuaries of Dimitra and Apollo and a cemetery outside the city.
- in the southeastern part of the prefecture in the borders with Turkey, Evros River shapes a Delta and there are forests, lakes, lagoons, swamps and channels. Delta has a unique ecosystem for the existence of fish, incects, animals and birds. The water biotope of Delta is protected from the international treaty Ramsar and is characterized as a region of special protection
- In Feres, built on the place of the Byzantine Vira is the Byzantine temple of Virgin Mary Kosmosoteiras, established in 1151 from prince Isaakios Komninos. The church is a masterpiece of architecture with marvellous wall paintings
- the Forest of Dadia between Soufli and Dadia, with dense pines, oaks and the protected biotope where rare birds of prey live. There is a specifically shaped region with observatories.
- Soufli is famous for its silk and its rich folklore tradition. You can visit the Museum of Silk and the traditional houses used to breed the silkworms.
- Also the Folklore Museum “Gnafala” with a collection of rare items.
- in Didimoteiho you will see the walls around the citadel, the Byzantine church of Saint Aikaterini and Saint Dimitrios. Also the ancienter mosque in Europe build in the 15th century, the ruins of the ancient Plotinoupoli, the castle of Pithio and the Folklore Museum.
- in Kastanies on the banks of river Arda gather each year to celebrate young people from all over the world.
Athens KTEL (Public Bus Service) (Kifisos station)
0030 210 5133280
Alexandroupoli airport “Dimokritos” 0030 25510 89300 & 89305
Alexandroupoli Port authority 0030 25513 56200