Rodopi prefecture – Komotini
Rodopi prefecture is characterised by its mountainous volumes at its northern side and the impetuous torrents that spring from there and end up to the southern side to the Aegean Sea, where are located the beautiful beaches.
The capital of the prefecture is Komotini that during Ottoman rule was called Goumourtzina. Nowadays is a modern city that combines harmoniously the European and Eastern element in architecture, tradition, culture and people.
The history of the city begins in the Post-Christian centuries with the establishment of a small settlement and the construction of a Byzantine fortress that gives the city the opportunity to be developed. Later during the Ottoman rule Komotini became the most important centre in the region developing the agriculture and the livestock-farming. It is finally incorporated in Greece in 1920 with the rest of Thrace.