Grevena prefecture is characterized from the mountainous volumes of Pindos mountain range with the beautiful forests and running waters, the rich historical tradition and the fights for freedom. The region was part of ancient Elimia, base of the Doric tribes. In all the prefecture are many archaeological discoveries.
The capital of the prefecture, Grevena is built on an altitude of 530 metres on the banks of Greveniti river, a tributary of Aliakmonas. The name Grevena is first mentioned in a 10th century AD text and is possibly of Latin origin. In the Byzantine years and on Ottoman domination it was a transportation and commercial center. It is freed from the Ottomen in 1912, while during the German possession in the 2nd World War it was a center of the resistance.
- the outdoor theater in the region Kastraki, with a capacity of 2.500 spectators build according to the ancient Greek models.
- the archaeological site in “Kastri”.
- Zavorda Monastery founded by St. Nikanora in the 16th century with beautiful murals.
- The stone bridges.
- the forests of Pindos sierra and the national woodland with rich flora and fauna and a lot of species of forest birds, the brown bear, etc
- the ski centre of Vasilitsa.
- the neolithic settlement in Knidi.
Access – Transportation
Grevena KTEL (Public Bus Service)
0030 24620 22242
Thessaloniki KTEL (Public Bus Service)
Macedonia Public Bus Service
0030 2310 595485
Athens KTEL (Public Bus Service) – Kifisos station
0030 210 5126833
Nearest airport Kozani “Philippos”
Area: 2.291 sq. km
Grevena prefecture belongs to the administrative regional unit of Western Macedonia and includes the municipalities of Grevena and Deskati.