Kythira, the island Aphrodite chose to surface. Kythira is at the south end of Peloponese it belongs to the Ionian islands and due to its geographical position was influenced from various cultures that in time formed a special style to the island.
Kythira is fertile with golden beaches and plateaus that reach the sea and create small gulfs.
A characteristic of Kythira is the odd architecture with elements from The Ionian islands, Cyclades and Peloponese. On the island are Venetian, Byzantine and medieval monuments, castles, chapels and between them alleys with arches in cycladic style.
In Chora (Kythira) the island capital the medieval castle dominates from the hill and below the white houses in Cycladic style make a beautiful image.
- the medieval castle in Chora (1503) and inside the castle the churches of Panagia Myrtidiotissa, Panagia Orfani, Pantokratora, St. John and the house of the Venetian lord.
- the castle in Palaiochora with 13th cent. Buildings and was the old capital of the island
- the Byzantine churches in Mesa Vourgo
- in Palaiopoli, Aphrodite’s bath and the ancient port of Skiandias whose remains can be seen in the bottom of the sea.
- the monastery of Panagia Myrtidiotissa in Livadi
- the monastery of St. John the Divine (1592)
- the Byzantine church of Assumption (13th century) that today accommodates the collection of Byzantine artwork
- the small medieval castle in the entrance of the port in Amvlemona
- the canyon in Kaki Lagada that ends in the sea,
- Fonissa the green gully with age old trees, small pool and a waterfall
- the Venetian castle 16th century in Amvlemona
- the cave of Agia Sophia with stalactites, near Mylopotamos
- the monastery of Panagia Orfani, with the wood cut temple
- the old stone bridge of Makvel
- Antikythira island
Kythira airport “Alexandros Aristotelous Onasis”
0030 27360 33297
Distance: 24km from Kythira town
From Piraeus, Gytheio and Neapoli Lakonia and Casteli Crete.
Routes differ according to the seasons.
Kythira port authority 0030 27360 33280
Neapoli port authority 0030 27340 22228
Gythio port authority 0030 27330 22262
Piraeus port authority 0030 213 2147600
Area: 279,5 sq km
Kythira municipality administratively belongs to Attica-islands prefecture (Region of Attica).