An island of white houses with traditional clay chimneys and chapels with blue domes built over green hills that lead to sandy beaches. Since 1836 the island’s capital is Apollonia, also called Stavri, amphitheatrically spread among three hills at Sifnos’ centre while at 6km south is located the port, Kamares.
Platis Gialos, one of the biggest sea resorts stands at a distance of 12km south of Apollonia.
According to the dominant version, Sifnos was named after the first inhabitant of the island, the son of Sounios, hero of Attica. The same time was founded Asti, the nowadays modern city, the Castle.
Another version has it that the name derives from the ancient adjective “Sifnos”, that means empty or vacant because it was believed that the island was hollow and as a result of the many underground covered walkways that lead to the gold and silver mines.