Milos is at the most southern part of western Cyclades and covers an area of 160 sq.km.
Milos is known since the neolithic times. Its rich mineral deposits made it an important commercial center in prehistoric times.
The use of a volcanic rock (volcanic glass) a material used to make tools was very popular. Tools like this were found in Crete, Peloponnese and Egypt proving the commercial relations between these areas.
Fylakoti area – a protocycladitic center – had a great development in the Mycenaean and Minoan periods and is considered to be one of the first cities in Europe.
In the 19th century the famous statue of the Venus de Milo was found buried in the island and now is at the Louvres museum in Paris.
In the Roman times the “marble theater” is build with incredible view over the area.
During the early Christian times the famous catacombs were made to protect the Christians. These catacombs are located near the village Tripiti and are among the most important Early Christian monuments.
Adamantas is the island port build by Cretes who came here in 1824.
The village combines the traditional beauty with the cosmopolitan life.
Mylos capital is Plaka with a characteristic Cycladitic style and architecture. Here you can visit the medieval castle and the church of Panagia Thalassitria (protector of the marines) build in one of the most beautiful spots of the island.
- The catacombs
- The marble theater
- The medieval castle
- The church of Panagia Thalassitria
- The Archaeological and Folklore museum in Plaka
- The Ecclesiastical and metals museum in Adamanta
Milos has more than 75 beautiful beaches like Paleochori, Agia Kyriaki, Provatas, Klima, Emporeios an others
From Piraeus port and the surrounding islands
Milos port authority 0030 22870 23360
Piraeus port authority 0030 213 2147600
0030 22870 28410
Area: 160 sq. km
Milos municipality administratively belongs to Cyclades prefecture (South Aegean Region).