The island for sponge diving and climbing!
Kalymnos, the island of the sea sponge divers is the fourth bigger island in Dodecanese with seacoast length of 104.588 km.
Kalymnos and Leros island where once united and this is confirmed from divers who find old buildings in the Diavlos sea grounds.
Kalymnos is famous for its sponge diving and for its mountains also. Kalymnos is a highland island with mountains filled with aromatic herbs like thyme, oregano and others. In Kalymnos one can enjoy memorable moments of hiking or mountain climbing in a relaxing and peaceful environment. Beautiful sights, blue waters, hospitable habitants and climbers from all over the world who come to enjoy Kalymnos beauties.
Chorio in the middle of the island that used to be the capital (today is Pothia). In Chorio there is another world, the world of the Byzantine castle full of chapels and ruins.
- the temple of Apollo near Chorio from the Hellenistic period
- the church of “Jerusalem Christ” next to the temple of Apollo
- Fort Kasteli near Masouri
- In Emporeio Kastri neolithic walls and their tower
- The Venetian castle in Chrisoheria
- Near Vathi, Daskaleio Caves with pre-historic findings
Don’t forget to visit one of the many sponge workshops.
Any of the amazing beaches of Kalymnos you decide to go except of the swimming and sun bathing, take the chance to enjoy the sea sports offered:
From Kalymnos you can visit the near by islands with daily cruises: