Kos was famous from the ancient years for Asclepion and Hippocrates.
The modern city that was built after the earthquakes in 1933, harmonises itself with the ancient Greek, Byzantine and Venetian ruins.
The beautiful sandy beaches of Kos, offer the visitors a calm but also cosmopolitan life.
More important beaches are Kefalos, Marmari, Mastihari, Tigaki, Lambi, Psalidi and St.Fokas
Neratzia Medieval Castle
At the entrance of the harbour dominates the medieval castle of Knights Hospitaller or Neratzia.
The castle is connected to the city by a bridge – Castle Bridge – which leads to Phoenix Avenue.
Among the ruins of the ancient city you can see the Roman Conservatory fορ 750 people, that is used until today, the ancient market (agora), the high school, the stadium and the Roman villas with rich mosaic floors.
in a verdant area a few kilometers from the town of Kos. Asclepeion is divided into three levels. There you will see the complex of Roman warmth, altars, the Ionic temple of Asclepius, and on the last level a Doric temple of Asclepius of the 2nd century AD.
Other attractions are:
- The Venetian castle in Antimachia.
- Early Christian basilicas at Agios Stefanos (Kefalos)
- The Archaeological Museum with findings from the prehistoric, classical and Roman times. Among them pots, sculptures and beautiful mosaics.
- Saint John the Baptist church in Kos town.
- Hippocrates’ sycamore tree where according to the legend there he was treating and teaching his disciples.
- The castle in Pyli
- Kefalos Castle
- Agia Paraskevi Church
- The mosque of Gazi Hasan or Lozia in the city of Kos built in 1786.
- The Roman house – Casa Romana
- The Municipal Market.
- Defentar mosque in Eleftheria square in Kos town.
- Hercules temple in Kos town
- Apollo temple in Kardamena
- the tomb of the ancient king of the island Charmilos, in Pyli
- thermal springs in Therma
Access – Transportation
From Piraeus port, Thessaloniki port and other islands.
Kos port authority 0030 22420 26594
Piraeus port authority 0030 213 2147600
Kos airport “Hippocrates”
0030 22420 56000
Distance: 27 km from Kos town.
Area: 288 sq km
Kos municipality administratively belongs to Dodecanese prefecture (South Aegean Region).