The island was formed by volcanic eruptions and is one of the two volcanoes in Greece.
According to mythology Nisyros was formed while Neptune was chasing the giant Polyvotis, broke a part of island Kos with his trident and thrown it at him. That part was Nisyros.
At the centre of the island are located the craters and the volcano caldera.
The villages maintain the insular characteristic of the whitewashed alleys and the traditional houses of the colourful windows.
- Castle of Spiliani, a building of the Knights of Saint John (1315).
- Monastery of Panagia Spiliani, protector of the island.
- The churches of Aghios Nikitas, Panagia Potamitissa, Aghios Savvas and Aghios Nikolaos.
- The renovated windmill at the island’s port.
- The buildings of the Municipality and Public Primary School.
- Palaiokastro, at a distance of 4km from the city with parts of the ancient town’s wall.
- Folklore on the road to the castle of Spiliani.
- Aspri Ammos
- Pahia Ammos
- In the islets Gyali and Aghios Antonios
From Piraeus port, Rhodes, Kos and the surrounding islands.
Nisyros port authority 0030 22420 31222
Piraeus port authority 0030 213 2147600
Area: 41,2 sq km
Nisyros municipallity belongs to the administrative district of Kos (Dodecanese prefecture – South Aegean Region)