Tilos is an island for quiet vacations among warm people.
Even if it is small, the island has great archaeological interest. There are findings from the ancient and Byzantine era and paleontologic findings with especially interesting the petrifaction of small elephants and other animals found in Charkadio cave.
Tilos has crystal beaches and a lively Greek island tradition.
During antiquity Tilos was known for her poetess Irinna and her perfumes. Under Minoan influence Tilos and Lindos established the colony Gela in Sicily. At the middle of the 3rd century BC she was under the state of Rhodes and followed its destiny. In 1304 she was occupied form the Order of St. Johns Knights and later in 1523 she was occupied by the Turks. In 1948 she was united with Greece.
- the Ancient city and the medieval castle on St. Stephan hill
- The paleontology and archaeology collections
- Charkadio cave with paleontology findings
- The churches of Virgin Mary Theotokissa, Agia Triada and the monastery of Agios Panteleimonas built in 15th century.
- the medieval castle in Mesaria
• Agios Antonios
– By boat:
• Agios Sergios
Access – Transportation
From Piraeus port and the surrounding islands.
Tilos port authority 0030 22460 44350
Piraeus port authority 0030 213 2147600
Area: 62 sq km
Capital: Megalo Chorio
Tilos municipallity belongs to the administrative district of Rhodes (Dodecanese prefecture – South Aegean Region).